Brand Name: KAT VON D
Finish: Matte and powdery
Coverage: Medium to Full
Skin type: Oily
Priced at: $35 at Sephora
Overall Rating: 4/5
• Comes in a beautiful very unique packaging with typical Kat Von D touch to it
• The bottle itself is quite unique with tattoo flowers all over the bottom and top
• You get a luxurious feel the moment you hold it
What I like about KAT VON D LOCK-IT TATTOO FOUNDATION?
- Highly pigmented
- Covers blemishes and scars without the use of concealer
- Offers buildable coverage
- Partially covers tattoos too
- Lasts for about 18 to 22 hours
- Offers a flawless finish when applied with the right technique
- An oily skin girl’s heaven
- Blends smoothly
- Looks great when applied with a beauty blender
- Looks amazing in pictures
- Does not transfer
What I don’t like about KAT VON D LOCK-IT TATTOO FOUNDATION?
- Feels heavy on skin
- Makes me feel uncomfortable when I have it on
- Makes me feel as if my skin is dying to breathe
- Flares up existing acne and somewhat causes new spots too
- Accentuates every bit of dryness and wrinkles when applied with a dense brush
- Hell for a dry to even combination skin girl
My thoughts on KAT VON D LOCK-IT TATTOO FOUNDATION
I love the girl Kat Von D! I mean who doesn’t? but my love for her is the reason why I always wanted to try her products. I was totally blown away by the pigmentation and quality of her eyeshadows, lock-it tattoo powder foundation and the highlight and contour palette that I thought the foundation would be awesome too and it is definitely amazing; but, unfortunately it just didn’t work out for me.
I have dry to combination skin and I received a sample of it from Sephora along with the primer (will review primer in a separate post). I was always a little reluctant to try it or any foundation that offers full coverage, because I feel such formulas flare up my acne. I was scared of this one too equally but then I read reviews and hadn’t found much on the acne part and I am personally still a little confused on this issue because the time I started using this foundation there was so much going on that my skin was supposed to react that way.
Anyways, what I personally felt was that it did flare up my already existing acne. It is definitely not a foundation for everyday use. This does offer a beautiful coverage which has to be worked in a certain technique but it should be limited to special occasions only, when you need full coverage for heavy makeup. I would not dare use it on daily basis! Also, it can be literally hell for a dry skin girl to make it work for her skin. I have dry/combination skin which is still manageable but this foundation accentuated every tiny bit of dryness on my face. Just imagine the situation of a girl with extremely dry skin! I applied it on my clients with oily skin types and I was blown away by the coverage and the finish on their faces. It worked beautifully on oily skin girls which made them fall in love with their skin. No exaggeration!
To conclude, I would say that this foundation is great for oily skin and if applied with the right technique it can give you a flawless, beautiful and smooth finish that looks like your own skin but way better.
A Small Tip:
- Moisturize your face well with a gel based moisturizer (for oily skin) and oil based moisturizer (for dry skin)
- Apply lock-it tattoo primer all over your skin and massage until it gets tacky
- For full coverage pick up a brush that has a fuller head but the bristles are not tightly packed such as Real Techniques Buffing brush
- For medium coverage pick up a stippling brush
- Spray a bit of Mac fix+ or any makeup setting spray on your brush liberally
- Put tiny dots of foundation all over your face (make sure you don’t use a lot of product)
- Buff it into your skin
- Try not to buff in circular motions, push the foundation into your skin instead by tapping it all over your face
What is it made of?
Optical Diffusers: Treated pigments visually minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing luminosity on the skin.
Emollients: Impart excellent slip and playtime; ensure softness.
Glycerin: Extremely hydrating.
Siliconic Elastomers: Long-lasting esters with emollient properties; provide dry, semi-matte finish.
Mattifying Powders: Texturing agent; increase powder effect and absorption properties.
Siliconic Ester: Provides no-transfer properties.
Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, IsononylIsononanoate, Silica DimethiconeSilylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, DimethiconeCrosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, GlycerylCaprylate, Calcium Carbonate, SorbitanSesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).
By : Natural Health News