What is American Ginseng?
American ginseng belongs to the same family that Korean ginseng (Asian / Panax ginseng)belongs to. Both varieties contain the same medicinal substance called Ginsenosides, although it exists in them in different types and different amounts. Siberian however, is an entirely different plant with different effects. It is distantly related to ginseng, but does not contain the same active ingredients.Ginsengs of all varieties are one of the most popular herbs
American ginseng, like Asian ginseng is a light tan, knotted root that often looks like a human body with arms and legs. Native Americans used the root as a stimulant and to treat headaches, fever, indigestion, and infertility. Ginseng is often called anadaptogen, because it helps the body deal with and adapt to various kinds of stress.
Studies have found that American ginseng is an effective immune system boosting agent that also has antioxidant properties. Some studies also suggest that it might have therapeutic potential for inflammatory diseases. It is also thought to fight mental fatigue during prolonged mental activity (such as taking a test).
Benefits of American Ginseng
- Studies show that it lowers blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. The effect is seen on both fasting and postprandial (after eating) glucose levels. Taking American ginseng before or together with a high sugar meal reduces the rise in blood glucose levels.
- It possesses powerful anti-cancer properties that inhibit tumor growth
- It reduces the chances of getting a coldand improves the recovery time of those that do get affected
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- It has been shown to help with ADD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Immune system enhancement
- It enhances the immune system by boosting the performance of cells that play a role in immunity. This improvement in immune system function could help the body fight off infection and disease
By : Natural Health News