What is Astragalus?
Astragalus is an herb that has been used for thousands of years in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It was often combined with other herbs to strengthen the body against disease. Astragaus is considered an adaptogen, which means that it helps protect the body against physical, mental, and emotional stress. It was often combined with other herbs to give the body strength against diseases.
Astragalus contains antioxidants, which protect cells from damage done by free radicals. It also helps protect the body from diseases such as cancer and diabetes. It protects and supports the immune system which helps in preventing colds and upper respiratory infections. It also lowers blood pressure and provides support to the liver. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it useful for skin wound care.
The dried root of the plant is used medicinally and at low-to-moderate doses, has few side effects. However, it does interact with a number of other herbs and prescription medications; therefore it is very important to consult a doctor or health care professional before taking it.
Benefits of Astragalus
- It protects the body from all kinds of stress
- It boosts and protects the immune system which helps the body get rid of and stay away from diseases
- Some research shows that it may improve blood counts in people with aplastic anemia
- Its antiviral properties make it an effective remedy colds and influenza
- It lowers blood sugar levels making it useful for diabetics
- It may help reduce side effects from chemotherapy such as fatigue or lack of appetite
- It is thought to lower cholesterol levels thereby helping in the treatment of heart disease
- If combined with other herbs it can help in the treatment of hepatitis
- It protects the kidneys and helps treat kidney disease
- It helps reduce symptoms of seasonal allergies such as allergic rhinitis and hay fever
- It’s a mild diuretic, meaning it helps the body get rid of excess fluid
By : Natural Health News