What Is Mastalgia ?
It is a complaint that many women commonly do. Simply put, the condition can also be referred as breast pain. Mastalgia can involve tightness, burning pain, and tenderness in the tissue of breast. In addition to this, pain can either occur occasionally or continuously.
The intensity of pain may vary from a person to another. For some, it may start just before the menstruation period, or can continue until the period ends whereas others may experience pain for even more days a month.
At times, postmenopausal females suffer breast pain, though it tends to be more common particularly in younger perimenopausal and premenopausal females. In many instances, pain in the breast is the indication of a benign breast condition, however in rare cases; it can be a sign of breast cancer.
It is important to consult a doctor in case of the following situations:
- Constant pain in the breast that failed to resolve after 1-2 menstrual periods.
- Pain that continues even after menopause.
- Pain that arises in a particular area of the breast.
What Are The Symptoms Of Mastalgia ?
Many instances of the condition are categorized into either:
Each of which has different characteristics.
What Causes Mastalgia ?
At times, the precise trigger of breast pain tends to remain a mystery, though contributing factors may include the following:
- Breast structure: usually, noncyclic breast pain consequents from certain factors which affects the breast structure, for example breast trauma or cysts.
- Reproductive hormones: It is considered that the cyclic breast pain is associated with the menstrual cycle and hormones. Often, it reduces or resolves with menopause or pregnancy.
- Medication use: specific drugs such as antidepressants or the ones related to hormones for example birth control pills and infertility treatments can cause breast pain. Besides, progesterone hormone therapy and estrogen can also source breast tenderness (potential side effect).
- Breast size: females those with large size of breast can experience noncyclic breast pain.
- Breast surgery: at times, breast pain occurs after recovering from incisions.
How Is Mastalgia Diagnosis ?
At first, the doctor will conduct a thorough physical examination of the patient. After being detailed with the symptoms, he will ask certain questions related to the problem. He or she can then suggest test to examine the condition. Few of which may include the following:
- Breast biopsy.
- Clinical breast exam.
How Is Mastalgia Treatment ?
In many instances, the breast pain tends to resolve without the need of medical aid. However, it is better to consult your health care provider for better assistance. In case he or she feels the need of treatment, then he will possibly advice the patient to:
- Eliminate the causal factor, for example adjusting the bra, and ensuring it to be comfortable.
- Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
- Adjust the birth control pills.
- Limit the usage of menopausal hormone therapy.
- Use a prescribed drug.
By : Natural Health News