Turmeric, best known as one of the ingredients used in making curry, is now quickly gaining popularity as a powerful medicine. It has been extensively researched and the findings show that it has some amazing health promoting properties. No wonder that it has long been used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medical systems. In the Indian subcontinent it is a very popular and ancient home remedy for many ailments and situations. It is topically applied to cuts and burns due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It is mixed with warm milk and given to people with injuries and pain to help in recovery and pain management. It is topically applied to different areas of the skin to improve the health and appearance of it. The anti-carcinogenic properties of turmeric are perhaps its most intriguing and significant quality. Research has shown that women in India (where turmeric is used almost daily in cooking) have a much lower incidence of breast cancer compared to American women.
To get the benefits of turmeric it should be consumed daily. Although supplements containing turmeric are widely available it is more cost effective and natural to use turmeric powder. A very good and easy way of consuming turmeric is to mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a quarter teaspoon of black pepper in a cup of warm to hot milk. Honey can be added for flavor if desired. If consumed daily this turmeric milk will protect you from many illnesses and will promote well-being.
Benefits of Turmeric
Recent research has found many benefits of turmeric, such as:
- It protects the liver and can help reduce blood cholesterol levels
- It can reduce the pain and stiffness of arthritis due to its incredible anti-inflammatory properties
- Several animal studies have shown that it can inhibit the development of certain cancer cells
- It soothes the digestive system and can help reduce the development of ulcers due to stress or medication
- It is a natural antibiotic agent and can inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeast, and viruses
By : Natural Health News