What Is Ichthyosis Vulgaris?
The inherited skin disorder itchthyosis vulgaris causes the dead skin cells to build up in form of dry, thick scales on the surface of the skin. Scales associated with the skin disorder is also known as fish skin disease or fish scale disease.
Majority cases of ichthyosis vulgaris tends to be mild, however few turns severe. At times, some other diseases of the skin for example eczema are linked with it. Unfortunately, the skin disorder is incurable however its treatment goals to control ichthyosis vulgaris.
What Are The Symptoms Of Itchthyosis Vulgaris?
The skin disorder slows down the normal shedding process of the skin. Such causes excessive protein buildup in keratin, our skin’s upper layer. Furthermore, its symptoms include:
- Flaky scalp.
- Scaly, dry skin.
- Small scales like tile.
- Painful, deep cracks in the skin.
- Scales colored brown, dirty gray or white.
Normally, scales emerge in the lower legs and elbows, whilst can be more dark and thick over the shins. Severity of the symptoms tends to vary. Usually, the symptoms turn worse in dry, cold environments and improve in humid, warm environments.
What Causes Ichthyosis Vulgaris?
Usually, the skin disorder is triggered due to genetic mutation which is inherited by a single or both the parents. In addition to this, children those inherit the defective gene through a particular parent tends to experience the milder form, whereas those inherit defective genes by both parents experience its severe form.
What Are The Potential Complications Of Ichthyosis Vulgaris?
Few individuals suffering from the skin disorder may experience:
- Secondary infection: clearly, skin cracking and splitting can cause infections.
- Overheating: in few cases, scales and skin thickness associated with itchthyosis vulgaris would interfere with sweating. Such tends to inhibit cooling.
How Is Ichthyosis Vulgaris Diagnosed?
In order to diagnose the skin disorder, your doctor will carefully examine the skin. Furthermore, he or she will also examine the characteristic scales. In case of being uncertain, the doctor can conduct other tests for example skin biopsy. It will also help ruling out any other reason behind scaly, dry skin.
How Is Ichthyosis Vulgaris Treated?
Unfortunately, the skin disorder is incurable, however its treatment aims to manage and control the condition. In order to treat ichthyosis vulgaris, the doctor can consider the following treatment option:
- Alpha hydroxy acids, for example glycolic acid and lactic acid: the particular treatment tends to include prescribed ointments and creams which contain acids, helpful for increasing your skin moisture and reduce scaling.
- Retinoids: such vitamin A-derived medications are normally prescribed for more severe cases. They help to reduce the abnormal growth of skin cells. However, a number of side effects are associated with the medications such as lip and eye inflammation, hair loss and bone spurs. In addition to this, retinoids can also lead birth defects. Pregnant women must strictly avoid retinoids or use birth control in case of being prescribed. Discuss with your doctor.
Related Articles :
By : Natural Health News