What Is Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder ?
The sexual desire of a woman changes over time. Highs and lows tend to coincide with the starting or ending of a romantic relationship, or with a significant change in life for example illness, menopause or pregnancy. Certain anti-seizure and antidepressants drugs also lead to low sexual desire in females.
Continuous lack of interest can be a sign of hypoactive sexual desire disorder. However; this does not mean that you need medical help. Indeed, low sex drive can be distressing, but fortunately, there is a lot more you can do to enhance your sex drive.
Sex techniques and lifestyle changes can help boost your mood. Few medicines have also proved great effectiveness.
What Are The Symptoms Of Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder ?
A woman with hypoactive sexual desire disorder would have:
- Least interest in sexual activities.
- May not, or rarely have sexual though or fantasies.
Lacking in sexual fantasies and activities can be bothersome for such a woman.
What Causes Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder ?
Women’s interest for sex is build upon a combination of several factors, affecting intimacy, such as present relationship, lifestyle, belief, circumstances, experiences and emotional and physical well being. A problem with any of the aforementioned area can affect the desire for sexual activities.
- A number of health conditions, physical changes and drugs can lead to low sex drive.
Hormonal changes for example pregnancy, menopause and breastfeeding can also contribute in lowering your interest.
- Psychological causes such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, stress and history of sexual and physical abuse.
- Relationship issues such as unresolved fights or lack of bonding with the partner.
- Breach of trust can also be a major reason for low sex drive.
How Is Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder Diagnosis ?
The doctor will take steps to identify the real cause behind your low sex drive. The doctor will ask certain questions related to your problem, and will perform the following:
- Pelvic exam.
- Blood tests (to check the levels of hormones and rule out the possibilities of diabetes, liver disorders and thyroid problems).
In case he finds no apparent cause, he will possibly suggest you a sexologist. A sex therapist or counselor can help you better with the case. He or she will evaluate your relationship and emotional factors that may be contributing to low sex drive.
How Is Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder Treatment ?
It is advice to pursue a treatment plan that is prepared considering the underlying cause of your problem. Moreover, recommendations can include:
- Sex education.
- Medication (in few cases).
It is important to share your sexual preferences and needs with your partner. Be open about your choices and moods. Make intimacy your priority and focus more on it.
In addition to this, healthy lifestyle is also important. Therefore:
- Exercise daily.
- Eat healthy.
- Reduce stress.
- Quit smoking and limit your intake of alcohol.
By : Natural Health News