What is Horsetail?
Horsetail is the common name for the genus of plants known scientifically as Equisetum. This name originates from the appearance of these plants resembling a horse’s tail. It is the only living genus in the entire class Equisetopsida, which is thought to be more than three hundred million years old. This is the reason that it is often referred to as being a living fossil. It is a vascular plant that unlike the majority of the plant kingdom reproduces via spores.
Medicinal benefits of Horsetail have been known since the times of ancient Romans and Greeks. The Roman physician Galen recommended it to treat kidney and bladder troubles, tuberculosis, arthritis, and ulcers. The Chinese used it as a fever reducer and an anti-inflammatory. Horsetail is able to absorb and store valuable and rare minerals like silica, which helps the body produce connective tissues such as blood vessels, skin, teeth, cartilage, bones, hair, and tendons.
Benefits of Horsetail
- Its antioxidant content prevents healthy cells from mutating into cancerous ones. Thus its regular use can lower the risk of getting cancer
- It has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that make it a protector of the body from infections and diseases
- It has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which make it an ideal supplement for people suffering from conditions that cause painful swelling
- It contains high amounts of silicone, which is one of the rarest minerals needed by our body. Silicone plays a vital part in maintaining and promoting bone density and integrity, therefore, horsetail’s high silicone content make it an ideal supplement for people suffering from bone conditions such as osteoporosis
- It can prevent the brain from cognitive diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer’s
- It helps the respiratory system by facilitating the removal of excessive mucus and phlegm
- It promotes healthy skin and hair when used topically
- It can prevent kidney stones from forming by helping the body excrete excess uric acid
By : Natural Health News