What is Bugleweed?
Bugleweed is a perennial flowering plant that is native to Europe. Its other common names are bugle and carpet weed whereas its scientific name is Ajugareptans. In North America it is considered an invasive species as it can quickly spread and cover large areas.
Benefits of Bugleweed
- It contains several anti-inflammatory compounds that help with inflammatory conditions of the respiratory tract such as excessive coughing, sore throat,and shortness of breath. It also acts as an expectorant that helps the body get rid of phlegm and mucus. Phlegm and mucus are breeding grounds for bacteria and their elimination from the body greatly helps with recovery from illnesses such as the common cold
- It relaxes the body and mind to promote sleep. This property makes it ideals for insomniacs who can use it to get the deep, uninterrupted, and restful sleep that they so desperately need
- It calms the nervous system giving relief to people suffering from conditions such as chronic stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety cause an increase in stress hormones such as cortisol. When these hormones stay in the system for longer than intended, havoc is wreaked on the organs and metabolism of the body, leading to several illnesses. The ability of bugleweed to fight off stress and the hormones produced by it makes it a great general health booster for this day and age
- It can balance thyroid hormones within the body. When thyroid hormone levels become abnormal, several systems of the body are negatively affected. Thus the balancing of these hormones brought on by the use of this plant is an extremely crucial health benefit
- It regulates estrogen levels in women
- It regulates the heart rate and lowers blood pressure. These effects protect the body against serious conditions such as atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes
- It speeds up wound healing when applied topically to the affected area
- It contains antioxidants that prevent free radicals from damaging the body
By : Natural Health News