What is Blue Vervain?
Blue Vervain is flowering plant that produces purple flowers even in the drought season. Though it is mostly found in North America, it has been used for its medicinal properties throughout the world and ages. The Romans called it verbena and used it to treat a variety of illnesses. It was also a part of the Native American pharmacopeia.
Benefits of Blue Vervain
- It helps the body eliminates toxins and excess salt, water, and fat. It does this by acting as a diuretic which is a substance that stimulates the release of urine from the body. When toxins and excessive amounts of salt, water, and fat stay in the system, they start damaging organs such as the kidneys and liver. Blue vervain prevents this damage and is therefore ideal for people with illnesses such as a bladder infection
- It acts as an expectorant, meaning it eliminates phlegm and mucus from the respiratory tracts. Since phlegm and mucus can house dangerous bacteria and pathogens, their expulsion helps the body fight of conditions such as chest congestion, chronic bronchitis, sore throats, colds, and coughs. A simple and pleasant tea made of this plant can usually be enough to clear up the respiratory tract and eliminate any irritation
- It soothes the body and mind and can be an effective treatment for a number of nervous system disorders such as anxiety, stress, and insomnia. Nervous disorders are sometimes caused by an imbalance of hormones that can be fixed by regular consumption of nervine herbs such as blue vervain
- It improves and balances moods by stimulating the release of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. Its relaxation effects help in clearing the mind of worry and its uplifting effects promote positive thinking. These effects make it a reliable drug to fight minor depression
- It kills parasites and worms living inside the gastrointestinal system
- It relieves symptoms of severe menstrual periods such as cramps, bloating, discomfort, and mood swings
- It is beneficial for a variety of oral health conditions such as bleeding gums, bacterial infections, and mouth ulcers
- It is a powerful pain reliever
By : Natural Health News