What is Bitterroot?
Bitterroot is a flowering plant that is native to North America. Its scientific name is Lewisia rediviva and it is mainly found in the west of North America. From looks it seems unimpressive as it produces a single white or pink flower. In reality its root contains powerful healing agents that make this plant anything but unimpressive.
Benefits of Bitterroot
- It de-stresses the cardiovascular system by relaxing and dilating the blood vessels. This prevents the occurrence of conditions such as atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes. Traditionally it was used to slow the pulse rate in order to relax the heart
- It quickly eliminates angina which is a pain in the chest due to heart conditions
- It has analgesic (pain relieving) properties that make it useful for people suffering from headaches, injuries, and muscle soreness. It is also beneficial for those recovering from surgery
- It reduces inflammation of the respiratory system and loosens phlegm and mucus. It also reduces the pain and irritation caused by the inflammation. Its anti-inflammatory properties also made it a popular treatment for gout, arthritis, and several gastrointestinal issues
- Its numbing properties provide relief from a sore throat
- It relaxes the nervous system providing relief from anxiety, stress, and insomnia. It can also be used to reduce spasms, arrhythmias, and other nervous system disorders
- It cleanses the skin and protects it from infections and damage. The antioxidants found in it fight the free radicals that speed up the aging process. The result is a vibrant and younger looking skin for years to come
- It detoxifies the body meaning that it flushes out excess salts, fats, and water from it. Moreover it also binds to toxins and helps the body expel them. This results in improvement of bladder and kidney health as well as an increase in the efficiency of the metabolism
- It helps diabetics maintain stable blood sugar levels and avoid the peaks and troughs that can lead to diabetic shock
- It can soothe upset stomachs
By : Natural Health News