Aloe vera is an amazing ingredient for skin care. Aloe vera also is one of the main ingredients in some skin products. The ancient Egyptians called aloe vera the “plant of immortality” because it contains many medicinal properties. Particularly, its gel is full of several nutrients, vitamins and minerals that are helpful for the skin as well as the hair. In addition, it is safe to use internal and externally as well. Some of the outstanding benefits of aloe vera for skin are:
1. Aloe Vera Reduces Acne
A study published in 2014 in the Journal of Dermatological Treatment discovered aloe vera to be useful for treating mild – moderate acne vulgaris. Basically, aloe vera can kill the bacteria causing acne since it is a natural antibacterial property. In addition, it enhances the growth and development of new cells. Apart from that, because it comprises anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera helps the skin heal fast and lowers skin inflammation too. Along with combating acne, this plant is used to heal chronic skin problems effectively, such as eczema and psoriasis. Below are some methods to use this herb for acne treatment:
- You can apply some fresh aloe vera gel straight on the affected areas several times a day.
- You can also fill 1 ice cube tray using aloe vera gel and later freeze it. After that, rub 1 frozen cube on the face and this way soothes the inflammation. Do 2 or 3 times per day.
- You can also combine aloe vera gel (1 teaspoon) with honey (½ teaspoon) and lemon juice (1/2 teaspoon). Apply this resulting combination on the acne-affected region. Let it sit for around15 minutes and rinse it off using water. For best results, follow this twice daily.
2. Aloe Vera Prevents Premature Aging Signs
Aloe vera also helps to eliminate aging signs such as wrinkles, sagging skin and fine lines. In addition, aloe vera contains the high antioxidant content, so it prevents premature aging signs. In addition, aloe vera gel keeps the skin moisturized by penetrating into the skin. Furthermore, it nourishes the skin since it is loaded with nutrients such as vitamins A, B, E and C. Last but not least, the presence of polysaccharides in the gel can stimulate skin regeneration. Thus, you should include this herb in your beauty regimen to prevent and combat premature aging signs. Below is an easy method to use this plant for the prevention of aging signs:
- Exfoliation is an important step to keep the skin young. You can make an exfoliating mask using aloe vera by blending fresh aloe vera gel (1 teaspoon) and mixing ground oatmeal (1 teaspoon) and olive oil (½ teaspoon) in it.
- Later apply this resulting mask on the face and neck area and after around 30 minutes, gently scrub off the mask with wet hands.
- Finally, take cold water to rinse your neck and face. Use this mask one time a week for best effects.
3. Aloe Vera Treats Sunburns
Another benefit of aloe vera is treating skin sunburn thanks to its soothing and anti-inflammatory agents. In addition, the gel helps to retain the moisture level of the skin, which is important for faster healing sunburned skin. Furthermore, this plant has the ability to remove an unwanted suntan. Follow the easy steps below:
- You can simply apply some extracted aloe vera gel straight on the sunburned region and let it dry on its own. Don’t rinse it off because the gel penetrates into the skin quickly and doesn’t have a greasy feel as well.
- Another choice is to mix aloe vera gel (2 tablespoons) together with the juice of a ½ lemon. Presently massage it in circular motions on the sunburned skin. Allow it on for around fifteen minutes and take cold water to rinse it off.
4. Aloe Vera Keeps Skin Moisturized
Aloe vera is a great natural moisturizer, so it aids in keeping the skin well hydrated and moisturized and promotes its elasticity. Well moisturized and hydrated skin looks smooth and healthy. When applied topically, aloe vera easily penetrates into your skin and helps to restore the pH balance. In addition, aloe vera is a good choice for people having oily skin because it doesn’t give a greasy look. Here is a simple recipe to use aloe vera for keeping skin moisturized:
- Take 1 aloe vera leaf and cut it using a sharp knife to scoop out the gel.
- After that, massage the gel on the face, neck as well as other body parts. Follow it daily before you go to sleep.
5. Aloe Vera Acts As A Makeup Remover
Purchasing a makeup remover is easy because it is available on any market or store. But commercial makeup removers may be packed with harmful chemicals that damage to your skin. Aloe vera can be used as a makeup remover. The aloe vera gel has the slippery nature that can collect makeup residue easily and leave the skin clear and clean. Also, it even gives your skin a radiant glow. Try the method below:
- Take pure aloe vera gel (a dollop) and put it onto a cotton ball. Later swipe this cotton ball all around the face to eliminate your makeup.
- Lastly, use water to rinse your face, pat dry and follow up with applying a light moisturizer.
6. Aloe Vera Minimizes Stretch Marks
Frankly speaking, ugly stretch marks can reduce the beauty of the skin. Luckily, aloe vera can help you minimize these stretch spots gradually. Plus, aloe vera can help to restore the elasticity of the skin and repair skin damage as well.
- Mix together aloe vera gel with rose water in equal amounts. Apply the mixture on your stretch marks and gently massage for several minutes in circular motions.
- Leave it on for around 18 minutes and rinse it off by using cool water. Follow this twice daily.
7. Aloe Vera Lightens Dark Lips
Lightening the lips is one of the outstanding benefits of aloe vera. It makes the lips soft and supple. It comes with soothing properties, so it removes dead skin cells from the lips and rejuvenates it as well.
- A very simple way is rubbing aloe vera gel frequently on your lips to soften and lighten them.
- Alternatively, mix coarsely powdered rice (1 tablespoon) with sufficient aloe vera gel to create a paste. Slightly rub the homemade scrub on the lips for 5 minutes and rinse it off by using cold water. It’s advised to follow this lip scrub 1 time a week.
8. Aloe Vera Treats Cracked Feet
Generally speaking, cracked feet can remove the beauty of the feet. You can rely on aloe vera to bring the beauty back. This plant is an ideal treatment for cracked and dry heels due to its moisturizing and antibacterial properties. Plus, it helps in skin cell regeneration and helps to fade dead skin cells. Try following the method below:
- At first, mix together aloe vera gel (4 tablespoons) and ½ cup of oatmeal and ½ cup of gram flour well. Thereafter, rub this paste all over the cracked and dry feet and lightly massage for ten minutes. Finally, with the help of warm water, rinse it off.
- To prevent and cure cracked feet, use this amazing foot mask one or two times a week.
9. For Glowing Skin
Basically, aloe vera replaces the dead skin cells with new ones by removing them and gives a radiant glow to your skin. Consuming aloe vera juice daily provides body with crucial nutrients making the skin healthy. Here’s an easy and simple aloe vera face mask to make the skin healthy and glowing as well:
Things you need:
- A small quantity of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of whole milk
- Several drops of rose water
- Aloe vera gel
Mix all the things mentioned above together except for aloe vera gel to form a smooth paste.
Add in a little aloe vera gel and later mix them thoroughly. Evenly apply this concoction onto your face & neck, keeping it there for around 20 minutes. Finally, use water to wash off and pat dry to attain refreshing glowing skin.
All benefits of aloe vera probably can’t be summed up. So, if you know any more benefit of aloe vera, share with me and other readers. All questions or comments are welcome.
Guest Post by Mai Cao
This guest post is by Mai Cao, a blogger with many years of experience on searching the most effective remedies for beauty and health issues.