What is acne?
Acne is basically a serious skin condition which tends to occur when the hair follicles get plugged with dead skin cells and oil. Acne usually appears on the chest, neck, face, shoulders and back. The condition can be annoyingly persistent and distressing. The lesions of acne heal gradually, and while one starts resolving, other would seem cropping up. Severe acne may cause skin scarring.
What are the symptoms of acne?
Usually, acne appears on your shoulders and face; however it can also strike your buttocks, legs, arms and trunk. Such skin areas have the top most functional oil glands. Acne is a condition which causes noticeable and prominent symptoms in form of zits or pimples on the affected area. Furthermore, it can take the below mentioned forms:
- Skin scarring.
- Redness around the erupted skin.
- Papules (red bumps, usually small in size).
What are the causes of acne?
The causes of this serious skin condition is yet unknown. Though, experts believe the increase of androgen levels to be its primary cause. Androgen is basically a hormone type. The levels of androgen rise when you turn an adolescent. Increasing levels of androgen make your oil glands which are under the skin, to grow. Now, such enlarged gland tends to produce extra oil. The excessive sebum breaks down the cellular walls which are in the pores, thus causing the bacteria to thrive.
As per some studies, genetic factors also contribute to the cause of acne. Greasy cosmetics, certain medications containing lithium and androgen, hormonal changes are few other factors that are also considered as the probable underlying cause of acne.
How is acne diagnosed?
A thorough skin examination can help diagnosing acne, and thus needs no specific tests or procedures.
How is acne treated?
The purpose of acne treatment is to reduce the oil production, fighting against bacterial infection, speeding up the turnover of skin cells and reducing inflammation. The dermatologists can prescribe oral or topical medication. Few types of treatments for acne include:
- Prescribed over-the-counter treatment for topical use.
- Isotretinoin for scarring cysts.
- Oral contraceptives.
- Light and laser therapy.
- Cosmetic procedures such as microdermabrasion and chemical peels.
Treatment for acne scars:
- Chemical peels.
- Soft tissue fillers.
- Light and laser therapy.
- Radiofrequency treatments.
- Skin surgery.
One can control or avoid acne by following certain self-care methods highlighted below:
- Always wash the affected area using a mild cleanser. Avoid harsh chemical products.
- Avoid irritants such as greasy cosmetics, acne concealers, hairstyling products or sunscreens.
- Avoid touching your face frequently for no purpose.
- Keep your hair washed and clean, nicely tied, away from the face.
- Never pop your pimples, as this can cause scarring.
- Frequently wash your towel, make sure your pillow cover is clean.
Even though, it is not confirm either oily food causes acne or not, yet for the safety sake, avoid consuming excessive oily and spicy food.
Read more :
By : Natural Health News