What is Oregano?
The Oregano Herb is believed to have come from Greece. Its name means “Joy of the Mountain” in Greek, and the herb is indeed found growing wild on the mountainside of Greece and the Mediterranean. Oregano is a delightful perennial herb with dark green leaves in opposite pairs, and pretty flowers in pink, purple or white in color. Its flavor is very similar to that of Marjoram, but somewhat stronger and more powerful.The oregano herb is common to locals and is generally used regularly by any other people in Italy. Long term oregano is derived from drying up the leaves as it is used to spice up a dish that is served. It is one great additive as well to pasta dishes and even in pizzas. Some Herbs are very delicious and can be used as a huge garnish to your dish. This herb also goes well with the basil herb in creating excessive culinary dishes. In planting this herb and having it grow to its fullest, it needs enough sunlight and a well-drained soil as to be able to get the best out of it.
The usefulness of the oregano herb was possibly because there isn’t just one Herb Plants. The oregano herb plant is categorized into several types, and each type has its own distinct appearance, aroma, flavor and use in cooking.Greek Oregano is often referred to as the true oregano. With its classic pungent and spicy flavor, it perfectly complements any tomato, cheese and egg based dishes and is also known as the pizza herb. Toss fresh oregano leaves in salads for a zesty kick or use it with meat,poultry, fish, pasta, soup and stew. It’s also great for stuffing and dusting for grilled dishes.
Oregano being very hardy needs very little after care. When the plants are small they should be watered frequently though when they grow larger they can easily withstand infrequent watering. As oregano is an herb from the Mediterranean, it cannot withstand water logging and therefore adequate measures should be taken to keep this from happening. If the plant is grown outdoors the soil should be made one that is well drained and if grown indoors grit can be used to facilitate drainage.This should be given at regular intervals for faster Healing Herbs.
Benefits of Oregano Herbs
The health’s benefits of Oregano Herb include are:
- Oregano may lessen accumulation of these free radicals and improve health.
- It may have a role in treating or preventing certain types of infections.
- It also helps in new cell growth to reveal younger, fresher skin.
- Oregano essential oil was helpful against certain respiratory viruses.
- It is rich in antioxidants, which are compounds that help fight damage from harmful free radicals in the body.
- It can be effective in removing warts when used diluted on the skin.
- Oregano and its works may help kill cancer cells.
- It as well helped suppress the growth and spread of colon cancer cells.
- It may control viral infections in humans is needed.
- It helpful in ridding the body of ringworm when used topically.
- Its oil reduced the number of inflammatory markers in mice with colitis.
- Oregano is available fresh, oil or as dried, making it great easy to add to your diet.
- It may help treat intestinal parasites in humans.
- It contains high amounts of omega-3s, manganese, iron, vitamin K and antioxidants.
- Oregano oil has extremely high amounts of antioxidants that help fight free radicals.
- It helpful in lessens the symptoms from inflammatory diseases like colitis.
- It’s also effective in its germ-killing abilities as common prescription antibiotics.
- Oregano was the most powerful against athlete’s foot.
- It helps in achieving good health and boosts immunity.
- Oregano oil can be used on skin infections to boost healing.
- It can be diluted for effective use on athlete’s foot and fungal infections.
- It helps relieve symptoms of respiratory tract disorders such as coughs, asthma, allergies and bronchitis.
- It helps lessen the length and intensity of the common cold or flu.
- Oregano is also helpful in easing head pain.
- It decreases acute or chronic pulmonary tract inflammation.
- This helps it produce more white blood cells which permit rapid recovery from diseases.
- It can prevent the initial onset of menopause.
- It can help you detoxify your body as well.
- It lessens inflammation and cuts your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It helps in treating all the disorders of the stomach.
- Dried oregano can be used to make the tea and make use in an perfect way.
- It is one of the ways to bring down the body temperature and treat fever.
- Dried oregano provides good levels of vitamin C to the body.
- It helps in regulating the heart functions particularly blood pressure and heart rate.
- It as well stimulates the roots of your hair follicles to encourage new hair from sprouting.
Please visit us at Natural Health News for more information on different herbs.