What is Goldenseal?
Goldenseal is a perennial herb that is found mostly in Canada and the eastern United States.It is also known as orange root or yellow puccoon in certain areas and is part of the buttercup family. It has been an important herbs for the Native Americans who have been using it for its medicinal properties for thousands of years.
The taste and smell of Goldenseal are very unpleasant but it is still widely used due to the benefits it offers to health. Considered a super herb by many, modern scientific research indicates that it is worthy of this title. Many alkaloids that directly impact bodily functions have been found in this plant.
Benefits of Goldenseal
- It promotes regular bowel movements and provides relief from ulcers by reducing inflammation. It is also a great tonic for overall gut health
- When applied topically it can provide effective relief from joint pain and topical inflammation
- It can be topically used to combat a variety of skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, and dry skin. It has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that reduce inflammation and fight skin infections; be they viral, fungal, or bacterial
- It boosts the immune system and makes it easier to fight off infections. It has been used since a long time to treat sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea
- It can be used to get rid of parasitic intestinal worms. It works by killing the worms via starvation and then producing a laxative effect so that they exit the body
- It boosts appetite and has been used for this purpose for generations
- It prevents severe allergic reactions by calming the nervous system
- It is an antipyretic, meaning that it can reduce fevers
- It helps the kidneys and liver get rid of toxins in the blood and body. This detoxifying action helps the body fight many chronic illnesses
By : Natural Health News