What is Skullcap?
Skullcap is a common name given to several different species of flowering plants belonging to the mint family. Out of all the species, blue skullcap is considered the best as it contains a high number of beneficial compounds, such as flavones and phenols. It is mostly found in wet habitats of North America. Native Americans have been using it for its medicinal properties for hundreds of years by consuming a tea made from its dried parts.
Benefits of Skullcap
- It provides relief from stress and anxiety by balancing hormones and stimulating the release of endorphins
- It relieves pain throughout the body when consumed orally
- It acts as a topical analgesic that also helps heal scrapes, bruises, and wounds by improving blood flow to the skin
- It soothes the nervous system making it ideal for people with nervous disorders such as seizures and spasms. Its regular consumption reduces the intensity and severity of these disorders
- It increases antioxidant activity in the liver. Antioxidants are compounds that prevent free radicals from causing damage to the body. An increased antioxidant activity in the liver means that the liver will undergo less damage and thus will be healthier. A healthy liver promotes overall well-being and helps the body get rid of toxins
- It helps regulate insulin levels within the body and also increases the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas. Both of these effects are extremely beneficial for patients suffering from diabetes
- It reduces cholesterol levels within the blood, making it beneficial for heart health. High levels of cholesterol within the blood cause plaque to accumulate within the arteries, causing heart attacks and strokes. By reducing cholesterol, skullcap helps the body prevent these deadly incidents
- It relaxation inducing properties make it a great sleep aid
- It helps with weight loss by reducing the amount of triglycerides within the body
By : Natural Health News