Impacted Wisdom Teeth Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment
What Are Impacted Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth are basically the third molar that grows at the back side of our mouth, whereas the condition impacted wisdom teeth occurs when there is no sufficient place for the wisdom teeth to grow or emerge normally.
In addition to this, wisdom teeth tend to be the final adult teeth which come into our mouth, say erupt! A number of individuals have four of them at the back side of their mouth, two on bottom and two on top.
Furthermore, impacted wisdom teeth generally cause extreme pain. They can also lead damage to some other teeth besides. The best option for such impacted wisdom teeth is their removal.
What Are The Symptoms Of Impacted Wisdom Teeth?
Not necessarily, impacted wisdom tooth causes signs. However in case if it gets infected, causes damage to any other teeth, you can face the following:
- Unpleasant taste.
- Bad breath.
- Swelling around your jaw.
- Bleeding or tender gums.
- Swollen or red gums.
- Extreme pain.
What Causes Impacted Wisdom Teeth?
Normally, wisdom teeth grow between 17-25 years of ages. In case the wisdom tooth does not find enough space to grow/emerge, it can get impacted.
What Are The Potential Complications Of Impacted Wisdom Teeth?
The condition can lead a number of complications in your mouth, such as:
- Damage to some other teeth: in case it pushes against your second molar, chances are that your wisdom tooth can damage your second molar. It can also make it more likely to get infected.
- Our wisdom tooth emerges within our jawbone in a sac. This sac may fill up by fluid, consequently forming a cyst. It can cause damage to your nerves, teeth and jawbone. Sometimes, a tumor (mostly noncancerous) grows/ such a complication needs bone and tissue removal.
- Impacted wisdom tooth can also lead to tooth decay. The reason possibly lies within the difficulty to clean the wisdom teeth resulting in bacteria and food to become trapped easily between your gums.
- Such a problem with cleaning your impacted wisdom teeth makes it more likely to invite pericoronitis, an inflammatory, painful gum condition.
How Is Impacted Wisdom Teeth Diagnosed?
An oral surgeon or dentist can physically examine your mouth and teeth in order to find out if you have a problem with your wisdom teeth, or say have an impacted wisdom tooth, or some other condition leading the symptoms. Typically, such an evaluation tends to include:
- A thorough examination of your gums and teeth.
- Questions regarding the patient’s general health and dental signs.
- Dental X-rays, which can disclose the existence of impacted wisdom teeth, plus the leading damage to your bone or teeth.
How Is Impacted Wisdom Teeth Treated?
Typically, the best treatment for such an impacted wisdom tooth that is causing dental issues and pain is its extraction or surgical removal. In case of suffering from some other medical condition which might raise your surgical risks, the dentist will suggest you to visit an oral surgeon in order to discuss the suitable course of action for your case.
By : Natural Health News