What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is sadly a chronic disorder of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. What really happens in this disorder is that colon gets inflamed and starts developing tiny open pores, or ulcers that produce pus and mucous. Certain foods can trigger the episodes of inflammation therefore, doctors have advised to follow a proper Ulcerative colitis diet plan.
Can the choice of foods we make cause Ulcerative Colitis?
Foods don’t cause Ulcerative Colitis but they definitely trigger the disease. You cannot totally stop eating to avoid flares but the best bet is to eat all the right foods that can help you provide essential nutrients as well as help you avoid any triggers that may arise due to certain food choices. However; be sure, foods don’t cause UC they only trigger the flares.
Things to do to stay organized to follow Ulcerative Colitis Diet Plan:
- Maintain a daily diary
- Note down what you ate
- Note down foods that make you feel good
- Also note down foods that make you feel sick
- Eliminate the ones that make you feel sick (Voila! There you have the ones that suit your body!)
- Eat well balanced diet which is high in protein and low in carbs but not excessively high in protein or not excessively low in carbs
What are the most common trouble making foods that you should avoid in Ulcerative Colitis Diet Plan?
Here are some of the items that you should not incorporate in Ulcerative Colitis diet plan:
- Carbonated drinks
- Dairy products in case you are lactose intolerant
- Dried beans, peas and legumes
- Dried fruits
- Foods containing sulfur or sulfate
- Fiber rich foods
- Pop corns
- Products containing sorbitol such as sugar free gums and candies
- Raw fruits and vegetables
- Refind sugar
- Spicy foods
By : Natural Health News