Dyslexia Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Diagnosis and Treatment
What Is Dyslexia ?
It is a learning disorder marked by the problems with reading. This occurs due to the difficulties recognizing the speech sounds, plus realizing the way they relate to words and letters. This learning disability tends to be common in children.
In addition, children those with normal intelligence and vision can have dyslexia. At times, it goes without being detected for years. Unfortunately, it is incurable, and continues lifelong. It is sourced by inherited traits which influence the way our brain functions. With the help of specialized education program, many children with the disorder do well in schools. Though, emotion support is very important.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dyslexia ?
It signs are hard to identify before the child reaches school, though some clues can point towards a problem. For example:
- Late talking.
- Problems to play games related to rhymes.
- Problems to learn rhymes.
- Learning words gradually.
The teacher can be the first person to complain about the problem, when the child enters school. As the child begins to learn reading, dyslexia gets more and more obvious.
- Problems to spell word correctly.
- Difficulty to read.
- Difficulty to understand and process what is heard.
- Difficulty identifying the differences and similarities in words and letters.
- Problem to understand quick instructions.
- Inability to pronounce a new word.
Signs of dyslexia in adults are:
- Problem reading out loud and memorize things.
- Problems related to time management.
- Problems to comprehend jokes and summarize stories.
- Trouble understanding expression with a hidden meaning.
- Difficulty to learn a new language.
- Problems to perform mathematical problems.
What Causes Dyslexia ?
As mentioned earlier, it is sourced by inherited traits which influence the way our brain functions. This indicates a faulty gene that is carried forward from affected families to their generations. The aforementioned traits seem to have an influence on the brain, especially the part concerned with language.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Dyslexia ?
Few factors are known to increase the risk of dyslexia, these are:
- Family history.
- Differences in the specific brain areas which enable reading.
How Is Dyslexia Diagnosis ?
There are no particular tests and procedures that can help detect dyslexia. Though, to detect it, the health care provider will review several factors, including:
- Child’s development.
- Medical history.
- Educational issues.
- Child’s behavior and life at home.
- Answers of several questions.
- Hearing and vision tests.
- Psychological testing.
- Reading tests.
- Neurological tests.
How Is Dyslexia Treatment ?
Unfortunately, there is no specific way that can help in correcting the brain abnormality, known for sourcing dyslexia. As mentioned earlier, it is a long-term problem. Though, if it is detected on early basis, the doctor can prepare an appropriate treatment plan, that will ultimately improve success. More specifically, it is treated with certain educational techniques and approaches. Clearly, early these intervention starts, better the outcomes!
By : Natural Health News