What is Butterbur?
Butterbur is a creeping ground plant that is related to sunflowers. Despite its relation to sunflowers it has a very different structure and chemical makeup. Alkaloids and other chemicals extracted from its rhizomes, stems, and leaves are used to treat various health conditions. The rhizomes of this plant contain such a high level of Alkaloids that improper preparation can lead to toxicity. This is the reason that traditionally the stems and leaves were more frequently used. It is therefore very important to make sure that butter bur extract is acquired from a reliable and professional source.
For hundreds of years butterbur has been used as a medicinal herb in Europe, North America, and Asia. The most common method of consuming the herb was to make a tea from it. However given that it is very hard to determine the concentration of chemicals released into the tea, it is best to take extracts produced by reputable manufacturers.
Benefits of Butterbur
- It has the ability to quickly bring down inflammation in the body. This is perhaps its most powerful and well known effects. Inflammation is considered a major cause of pain and damage within the body and a reduction in it can improve the quality of life and health of a person. Patients suffering from conditions such as arthritis or gout can therefore greatly benefit from it
- It triggers the expulsion of mucus and phlegm from the nasal cavities and respiratory tract.Bacteria love to stay and cultivate in mucus and phlegm therefore their expulsion speeds up the recovery process for those suffering from conditions such as the common cold. It also plays a preventative role as it can defend a healthy person from getting ill
- It is a natural antihistamine meaning it can be prevent or reduce allergic reactions
- It is very effective at providing relief from headaches and migraines
- It has antispasmodic properties that can be useful in the treatment of conditions such as tremors and irritable bowel syndrome
By : Natural Health News