What is Buckthorn Berry?
Buckthorn berry is the fruit of the sea buckthorn plant. It is also called sand thorn or sea berry in different parts of the world. Since the times of Genghis Khan, this berry has been used for its medicinal properties. Today, it is considered a super fruit because of its dense nutritional profile. It contains impressive amounts of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, and organic acids. Its vitamin C content is considered to be one of the highest amongst plant sources.
Benefits of Buckthorn Berry
- It has the ability to slow down the progression of cancer
- It speeds up the recovery process and aids in healing from injuries. This is due to the high concentration of vitamin C it contains. Vitamin C plays a major role in the formation of collagen,which is essential for growth and repair throughout the body
- Its carotenoid content protects the eyes from illnesses such as macular degeneration and cataracts. It also boosts vision health and can even improve night vision
- It helps lower LDL cholesterol levels and keeps fatty acids in check. This helps prevent life-threatening conditions such as heart attacks and strokes because there is less blockage in the blood vessels
- It helps regulate blood glucose levels and is, therefore, ideal for diabetics
- Its anti-inflammatory properties ease muscle soreness, joint pain, and gastric distress
- It has high levels of antioxidants that fight free radicals. This has numerous health benefits including increased longevity. Free radicals cause a lot of destruction inside the body and damage many cells. This destruction is a major cause of the aging process. By neutralizing free radicals one can improve overall well-being and live longer
- The antioxidants in buckthorn berry help reduce age spots and wrinkles, making it ideal for people who want healthy and young looking skin
- Its high vitamin C content helps the body absorb more iron, which is a key component of red blood cells. Adequate amounts of red blood cells are essential for maintaining good health
By : Natural Health News