What Is Behcet’s Disease ?
It is a rare disorder wherein the blood vessels of the body get inflame. Also known as Behcet’s syndrome, the disease can root a number of indications including:
- Genital sores.
- Skin lesion.
- Skin rashes.
- Eye inflammation.
- Mouth sores.
The aforementioned signs can seem unrelated in the beginning, and may vary from patient to patient. These may emerge and resolve on their own. The precise trigger of Behcet’s disease is yet to be known, though, possibilities of it being an autoimmune disorder tends to exist. In an autoimmune disorder, the defense system of the body, that is the immune system itself attacks against the healthy cells of the body. Both environmental and genetic factors can play a role in the instigation of Behcet’s disease. In addition to this, treatment focuses to ease its signs and avert serious destructions that can be caused by Behcet’s disease in the body. An example includes blindness.
What Are The Symptoms Of Behcet’s Disease ?
As mentioned earlier, indications can vary from patient to patient and may resolve and reappear on their own. In addition to this, signs of Behcet’s disease rely upon the body part which is affected by inflammation. Commonly, the below mentioned areas are affected by Behcet’s disease:
- Digestive system.
- Vascular system.
Besides, common signs include:
- Sores that develop in the mouth and on the sex organs.
- Stiffness, swelling and pain of the joints.
- Swelling that occurs on the parts of your eye.
Some intense problems caused by Behcet’s disease are as follow:
- Blood clots.
- Inflammation of digestive system.
What Causes Behcet’s Disease ?
Researchers have failed to identify the actual cause of Behcet’s disease. Though, mixtures of environmental and genetic factors are believed to contribute. In addition to this, a number of genes are also identified to be linked with Behcet’s disease.
As per some studies, a bacterium or virus can cause the disease in individuals those with specific genes, which make them vulnerable to Behcet’s disease.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Behcet’s Disease ?
A number of factors are known to increase the possibilities of Behcet’s disease, these are:
- Age: it is observed that the condition commonly affects young males and females. Say between the ages of 20-30 years. This does not exclude the possibility of developing Behcet’s disease in others, older adults and children can also experience it.
- Sex: even though, anyone, regardless of its gender can get affected by the condition, however it is often more intense in males as compared to females.
- Genes: one is more likely to develop Behcet’s disease in case he or she has specific genes linked with the condition.
How Is Behcet’s Disease Diagnosis ?
No particular test can help detect Behcet’s disease precisely. However, the doctor mainly relies upon the indications for its diagnosis. Besides, he or she can suggest blood tests or some other tests to exclude the possibilities of suspected conditions and diseases.
How Is Behcet’s Disease Treatment ?
Unfortunately, Behcet’s disease is incurable, though its treatment aims to ease the signs and avert complications in the future.
By : Natural Health News
Leave a Reply