What is alcohol poisoning?
Consuming excessive alcohol within a short time period can lead a serious and fatal reaction known as alcohol poisoning. Such tends to affects your body?s temperature, heart rate, gag reflex, breathing and sometimes can result coma or death.
Moreover, alcohol poisoning may occur when children or adults intentionally or accidentally drink any household item which contains alcohol. Thus, an individual with such a reaction needs prompt medical attention.
What are the symptoms of alcohol poisoning?
The symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:
- Irregular breathing.
- Slow breathing.
- Pale or blue-tinged skin.
Above mentioned symptoms may not necessarily need medical aid, however an unconscious person must immediately taken to a doctor.
When is the high time to consult a doctor?
After binge drinking, in case you notice above mentioned symptoms, immediately rush to the nearest hospital.
What causes alcohol poisoning?
In ethanol form, alcohol is easily found in specific household items, some drugs, cooking extracts, mouthwash, and alcohol beverages. Ethyl poisoning is typically caused by consuming excessive alcohol beverages in a short time period. Few other alcohol forms, such as isopropyl alcohol (which is found in few cleaning products, lotions and rubbing alcohol) and ethylene glycol or methanol (an ingredient in solvents, paints and antifreeze) can trigger another toxic type which needs emergency treatment.
Binge drinking is the major trigger of the reaction, a heavy drinking pattern where a man consumes minimum 5 drinks of alcohol rapidly within an hour, whilst a woman consumes minimum 4 alcohol drinks within an hour.
What are the risk factors of alcohol poisoning?
Risk factors of alcohol poisoning are:
- Your weight and size.
- Overall health.
- Tolerance level.
- Amount and rate of consumption.
- Combining drugs with alcohol.
- Alcohol percentage in the drinks.
- Whether the person has eaten recently.
What are the possible complications of alcohol poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning can lead severe complications such as:
- Breathing difficulties.
- Severe dehydration.
- Brain damage.
How is alcohol poisoning diagnosed?
Your doctor will suggest urine and blood tests in order to see alcohol levels in your blood.
How is alcohol poisoning treated?
Usually, the treatment of alcohol poisoning includes supportive care when the body get rids of alcohol itself. Typically, this includes:
- Oxygen therapy.
- Prevention of choking or breathing problems.
- Careful monitoring.
- Use of glucose and vitamins to help avoid life-threatening complications.
- Fluids given intravenously for preventing dehydration.
Children and adults, who have consumed isopropyl or methanol alcohol accidentally, would need hemodialysis for speeding the alcohol removal from their bloodstream. (Hemodialysis is basically a mechanical method to filter toxins and waste from the system).
- In order to avoid such serious reaction:
- Quit alcohol or consume in moderation.
- Avoid consuming on the empty stomach.
- Discuss the harms of alcohol with teens, discourage binge drinking.
- Store household items safely and away from children.
By : Natural Health News