What Is Neck Pain ?
Indeed, it is a common complaint. Poor posture can lead to the straining of neck muscle. For example:
- Hunching over the staring wheel or workbench.
- Leaning into the computer.
Besides, another common trigger of neck pain is wear-and-tear arthritis. At times, it can also be the sign of a more intense condition. It is advice to seek medical assistance in case of the following situations:
- It is accompanied with loss of strength in the hands or arms or with numbness.
- You have developed shooting pain down the arm or into the shoulder.
What Causes Neck Pain ?
It can source due to a number of reasons such as:
- Worn joints: like every other joint present in the body, our neck joints also endure wear and tear as we age, this can source osteoarthritis in the neck.
- Muscle strains: hunching for hours over the steering wheel can result in muscle strains. Some minor things for example gritting the teeth can also lead to the straining of neck muscles.
- Diseases: some diseases for example cancer, meningitis or rheumatoid arthritis can also trigger neck pain.
In addition to this, nerve compression and injury are also the two known causes of neck pain.
How Is Neck Pain Diagnosis ?
While visiting the health care provider, it is advice to give as much as details regarding the intensity and location of pain. Also notify any neck or head movements that tend to aggravate the neck pain.
While performing the physical exam, the health care provider will possibly check for:
- Muscle weakness.
- Muscle numbness.
- Muscle tenderness.
The doctor will also ask the patient to move his or her head. This will be intended to notice the possible motion and restriction caused by the neck pain. In few instances the doctor can suggest imaging tests that will help him or her to get a clearer image of the trigger. Imaging tests may include the following:
- CT scan.
- MRI scan.
Besides, following can also be suggested:
- Nerve tests.
- Lab tests: spinal tap and blood tests.
How Is Neck Pain Treatment ?
Often, many types of neck pain are efficiently treated with self-care measures. In case, your pain failed to respond them, then the doctor will review some other treatments options and will decide what’s best for you, considering the intensity of your condition and your preference. Options include:
- Neck stretching and exercises.
- Short-term immobilization.
Surgical and other procedures:
- Steroid injections.
How Is Neck Pain Preventable ?
Poor posture tends to be a common trigger of neck pain. Making some minor changes in your day to day routing can greatly help, such as:
- Take regular breaks.
- Adjust your computer, chair and desk.
- While talking on a phone, do not tuck it between the ear and shoulder.
- In case of working at a desk, it is important to stretch yourself more often.
- Avoid sleeping or resting on the stomach.
By : Natural Health News