What is Marshmallow Root Herb?
Marshmallow root is a perennial herb plant which native to Europe, Western Asia, and Northern Africa. It have been used as a folk remedy for thousands of years to treat digestive, respiratory, and skin conditions. The mucilage content which is in root and it varies greatly. It is generally highest in fall and winter and which therefore best to harvest during these times. The marshmallow root herb plant is a perennial which has a height that can vary between two to four feet. The color of the flower itself is a pink or light pink variant or that of a pale gray. The flower is about 1 to 1 ½ inches in length and blooms in the fall months of August through October. This healing herb is round with unusual toothed margins and three to five lobes. The roots are a pale yellow, tapered, lengthy and thick. The flowers of the marshmallow root are used to make expectorant syrups. They are picked when the flower has matured to at least two years old, and in August just as the flower is coming into bloom. This healing herb root it exhumed in the late falls cleaned of root fibers and corked and desiccated immediately. This healing herb which has shown to be helpful in almost all problems related to inflammation of the digestive tract which including peptic ulcers, hiatus hernias, mouth ulcers, enteritis, and colitis.
Benefits of Marshmallow Root
Following are some Benefits of Marshmallow Root
- Cough syrup which contains marshmallow root is an effective for relieving coughs due to colds, bronchitis, or other respiratory tract diseases with formation of mucus. This active ingredient of the syrup is dry ivy leaf extract. It has also contained thyme and aniseed.
- Marshmallow root has antioxidant properties that may help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Marshmallow root can help soothe irritation and inflammation in the digestive tract. Marshmallow root stimulate the cells and support tissue regeneration.
- Marshmallow root also has the potential to treat a wide range of digestive conditions, including constipation, heartburn, and intestinal colic.
- Marshmallow root has the potential for act as a diuretic. The Diuretics which help the body for flush out the excess fluid. It helps to cleanse the kidneys and the bladder.
- Marshmallow root can act as an analgesic to relieve pain. It can make marshmallow root which is considered as an excellent choice for soothing conditions which cause pain or irritation like as sore throat or an abrasion.
- Marshmallow root that can be used for enhance the appearance of skin that has been exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. In short, anyone who’s ever been out in the sun may benefit from applying topical marshmallow root.
- Marshmallow root which has antibacterial activity may make it effective for wound healing. These bacteria are also responsible for over 50 percent of the infections that occurs and include the antibiotic-resistant “super bugs.” When you applied topically to rat wounds, the extract increased wound healing in comparison to antibiotic controls.
- The anti-inflammatory effect of marshmallow root can also help to relieve skin irritation which can cause by furunculosis, eczema, and dermatitis.
By : Natural Health News