What Is Ramsay Hunt Syndrome ?
Ramsay Hunt syndrome (also known as herpes zoster oticus) arises when the facial nerve is affected by the shingles infection near one ear. Along with the hurting shingles rash, the Ramsay Hunt syndrome can also result in the facial paralysis as well as hearing capacity is also affected.
The virus that can produce chicken pox also cause Ramsay Hunt syndrome. After curing chickenpox, the virus becomes inactive in the nerves. After few years, it reactivates again. After reactivation, the virus affects facial nerves and the Ramsay Hunt syndrome occurs.
Early Ramsay Hunt syndrome treatment is required to reduce the risk of complications, which include permanent weakness of facial muscle, as well as deafness.
What Are The Symptoms Of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome ?
There are two main symptoms:
- Red painful rash fluid-filled blisters near or on the ear.
- Facial paralysis or weakness on the same side of the affected ear.
Commonly, the facial paralysis and the rash occur at the similar time. If a person is suffering from Ramsay Hunt syndrome, he might experience:
- Hearing loss
- Ear pain
- Ringing ears
- Difficulty while closing eye
- A moving or spinning sensation
- Loss of taste or change in taste.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome ?
If a person had chickenpox previously, there are more chances to develop Ramsay Hunt syndrome. However, it is common in adults, usually people above 60 years age. This syndrome is not common in children. However, presence of this virus varicella-zoster possibly will cause chickenpox in individuals you come in interaction with if they have not suffered from chickenpox previously or taken chickenpox vaccination. There is a chance that this infection possibly be serious for the people with deficiencies of immune system.
What Are The Causes Of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome ?
People suffering from chickenpox can become the victim of Ramsay Hunt syndrome. As soon as you improve from chickenpox, there is a possibility that virus may lie in your body for few years, occasionally this reactivates.
This virus is a shingles rash; as a result, facial nerve that is close to your ears can be disturbing because of it. Ramsay Hunt syndrome usually causes erratic degrees of one side hearing loss and facial paralysis.
How Ramsay Hunt Syndrome Is Diagnosis ?
However, the Doctor is frequently able to recognize Ramsay Hunt syndrome based on their medical account, a physical test and the distinctive signs and symptoms of the disorder.
How Ramsay Hunt Syndrome Is Treatment ?
Quick action taken against this virus can decrease pain and reduce the danger of long lasting problems. Medicines possibly will contain:
- Antiviral drugs. Medicines for example valacyclovir (Valtrex), famciclovir (Famvir) or acyclovir (Zovirax) frequently aid to get rid of the virus of chickenpox.
- Corticosteroids. A small regimen of high amount prednisone seems to increase the outcome of antiviral drugs in this particular Virus, Ramsay Hunt syndrome.
- Anti-anxiety medications. Drugs similar to diazepam (Valium) possibly will assist in dismissing vertigo.
- Pain relievers. The pain related to Ramsay Hunt syndrome might be simple. Narcotic drugs for example those including hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin, others) or oxycodone (Oxycontin, Percocet, others) possibly will be needed.
By : Natural Health News