What Is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis, also known as plantar fasciosis or jogger’s heel, is a disorder that results in pain in the heel and bottom of the foot.
The pain is usually most severe with the first steps of the day or following a period of rest.
Pain is also frequently brought on by bending the foot and toes up towards the shin and may be worsened by a tight Achilles tendon.
The condition involves pain and inflammation of a thick band of tissue, called the plantar fascia that runs across the bottom of the foot and connects the heel bone to the toe.
The thickening can be due to recent damage or injury, or can be because of an accumulation of smaller injuries over the years.
Causes Of Plantar Fasciitis:
The following factor lead to the development of plantar fasciitis:
- Taking up a new form of exercise or suddenly increase the intensity of exercise.
- Being on the feet for several hours each day.
- Having other medical conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus
- Wearing high-heeled shoes, and then switching abruptly to flat shoes.
- Wearing shoes that are worn out with weak arch supports and thin soles.
- Having flat feet or an unusually high arch.
- Having legs of uneven lengths or an abnormal walk or foot position.
- Having tight Achilles tendons, or ‘heel cords’.
Symptoms Of Plantar Fasciitis:
The following symptoms are exhibited by those suffering from plantar fasciitis:
- Sharp unilateral pain
- Pain is intense during the first steps in the morning
- radiating pain
Diagnosis Of Plantar Fasciitis:
Plantar fasciitis is usually diagnosed by taking a medical history and conducting a physical exam.
However, the doctor may conduct the following tests to rule out other possibilities for the symptoms:
Treatment Of Plantar Fasciitis:
The following treatment options are available:
- Pain relievers such as:
- ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others)
- and naproxen (Aleve)
- Physical therapy
- Night splint
- Surgical and other procedures
- Steroid shots
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy
By : Natural Health News