What Is Nightmare Disorder?
Nightmare disorder, or dream anxiety disorder, is a sleep disorder marked by frequent nightmares.
Such nightmares usually occur during the REM stage of sleep.
A diagnosis of nightmare disorder is only made if the nightmares cause distress, fear of sleeping or problems with daytime functioning.
Causes Of Nightmare Disorder:
Nightmare disorder can be caused by a number of reasons.
Ordinary stresses, such as problem at home, can trigger nightmares
Accidents, injuries and other traumatic event may cause post-traumatic disorder. PTSD may cause nightmares.
- Sleep deprivation.
Irregular sleeping and waking times can increase risk of having nightmares
Drugs, used to treat Parkinson’s disease, may trigger nightmares as side effects.
- Substance abuse.
Alcohol and illegal drug use or withdrawal can trigger nightmares.
- Scary books and movies.
- Other disorders
Some medical conditions and mental health disorders as well as other sleep disorders can be associated with having nightmares.
Symptoms Of Nightmare Disorder:
Nightmares experienced by those suffering from nightmare disorder may include the following features:
- Nightmare seems vivid and real, often becoming more disturbing as the dream unfolds
- Dream storyline is usually related to threats to your safety or survival
- One feels scared, anxious, angry, sad or disgusted as a result of the dream
- one feels sweaty or have a pounding heartbeat, but do not leave the bed
- one can think clearly upon awakening and can recall details of the dream
- the dream keeps one from falling back to sleep easily
- Usually the sleeper may scream or yell out things
Diagnosis Of Nightmare Disorder:
Nightmare cannot be diagnosed through tests.
The doctor may refer the individual to a psychologist for assessment and management.
Moreover, a sleep study can be done to diagnose sleep disorders.
Treatment Of Nightmare Disorder:
If nightmare causes one distress, treatment can be seeked.
Knowing the underlying cause of nightmares helps in providing treatment to cure it.
The following treatments are available:
- Medical condition treatment.
- Stress or anxiety treatment.
- Imagery rehearsal therapy
By : Natural Health News